Monday, January 18, 2010

Lobster... Yep, Lobster! Pan Roasted!

Now I love me some lobster! But I am living on chef wages here, so it is not something I get to taste, let alone feast on, very often.
But this week lobster tails are only $3 at my local supermarket. Yes, I said $3 each. Now that is a bargin! I guess the store received a new shipment of live guys before the last had been sold, so to make room, they hacked the remnants of the last shipment into tails and claws. While I think claw meat is a little sweeter, I don't think it is worth $6.99/pound if the shell. It is just too hard to get to, and you don't get very much (those shells are heavy!).
So, I got three of said tails wrapped up and brought them home. (One more note, when you only buy tails there is way less of the "oh my god, I'm killing a live animal" feeling; and this is something I can live my life with a little less of.)
Once home, I sliced up 4 or 5 cloves of garlic and added them to a stainless pan with a few tablespoons of veg oil on Medium heat and let them infuse the oil for a few minutes, watching to be sure they didn't burn. In the meantime... I lay the tails legs up and with a good chef's knife, crack through the bottom shell on the tails. Next, I crack said tails open, so the meat is exposed. A little salt for seasoning, and then they go flesh down into the pan. I add 2-3 tablespoons of butter to the pan and put it into an oven that has been PREHEATED to 400 degrees.
The tails cook 4-5 minutes, or just until the butter starts to brown. Then remove from the oven an pull the tails out of the pan to a plate to rest.
Serve over couscous (from a box) and add a few spoons of the yummy sauce to each.
Delicious every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment